Quiz on Last Month's Words
May / June 2017
Volume 18 No. 3
Here are the words that were featured last month:
For each of the eight examples below, select a word from the above list that best fits the blank. Then check your answers at the end. Note that the correct answer could be any of the word forms that were featured -- example: egomania, egomaniac, egomaniacal, and so on.
- Following some major setbacks, the company’s CEO resigned, saying: “It’s time for new leadership. It would be . . . . . . of me to put my interests ahead of those of the employees.”
- During the orientation, shouldn’t we inform our new employees, many of whom are from other countries, that . . . . . .--which is quite natural in some cultures--is a no-no in the American workplace because of its Judeo-Christian heritage? It is vital that everyone here should develop the ability to disagree cordially.
- I am disappointed that while praising Diane at this morning’s award ceremony, Robert missed one of her . . . . . . traits--that she is unfailingly polite!
- I admire the manner in which Japanese businessmen present their business cards--holding it with both hands and bowing. It’s so respectful! I love that element of . . . . . ..
- If I were you, I’d avoid Bill for now. He is quite drunk and in a pretty . . . . . . mood.
- Global warming and its many destructive consequences are raising the . . . . . . of the world’s heavy dependence on fossil fuels.
- The staging of pops concerts by symphony orchestras is helping dispel the notion that all classical music is synonymous with . . . . . ..
- That book sure has a catchy title, but the moment I opened it and saw it was full of . . . . . . math symbols and equations, I quickly put it back on the shelf.
1. egomaniacal 2. bellicosity 3. salient 4. obeisance
5. bellicose 6. saliency 7. abstruseness 8. abstruse
Give yourself one point for each correct answer.
A score of 8 = excellent; 7 = very good; 6 = not bad; 5 or less = you may want to revisit these words.
Please let me know by e-mail or phone (281-463-2500) what you think about this quiz and how it can be
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 by V.J. Singal. Articulate is a registered trademark.
Questions or comments may be sent directly to the author.
Phone: 281-463-2500, P.O. Box 841155, Houston, TX 77284-1155