Quiz on Last Month's Words
July / August 2017
Volume 18 No. 4
Here are the words that were featured last month:
For each of the eight examples below, select a word from the above list that best fits the blank. Then check your answers at the end. Note that the correct answer could be any of the word forms that were featured -- example: indecorous, decorous, indecorously, and so on.
- Whenever I hear execs begin their speeches with such . . . . . . statements as “We are living in a time of great change,” I feel like grabbing them by the shoulders and asking, “Can you tell me of any period since, say, the dawn of the telegraph, when we did not experience rapid change?”
- Jim, you handled the Q&A extremely well, especially the . . . . . . of questions and comments that followed your three possible scenarios for next year.
- During a military ceremony honoring U.S. soldiers who lost their lives in Afghanistan, onlookers were . . . . . . affected by the sounding of taps.
- By all means, Mary Lynn’s achievement is extraordinary. I just hope that . . . . . . from the CEO doesn’t go to her head.
- Several of us who attended last week’s roast of the dean felt that the tone of Martin’s speech was a bit mean-spirited. I thought it was clearly . . . . . ..
- Yeah, I too just heard about Joe’s behavior at the big dinner yesterday. I am stunned, because I had always regarded him as being someone who is . . . . . . to a fault.
- To preserve its entrepreneurial character and to avoid . . . . . . setting in, our multibillion-dollar corporation is constantly infusing its ranks with new blood.
- By giving women and minorities a significant number of key positions at all hierarchical levels, the management has demonstrated that the term “equal opportunity employer” is not just a . . . . . . but is for real at our Fortune 500 company.
1. platitudinous 2. fusillade 3. palpably 4. encomium
5. indecorous 6. decorous 7. calcification 8. platitude
Give yourself one point for each correct answer.
A score of 8 = excellent; 7 = very good; 6 = not bad; 5 or less = you may want to revisit last month's edition.
Please let me know by e-mail or phone (281-463-2500) what you think about this quiz and how it can be
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 by V.J. Singal. Articulate is a registered trademark.
Questions or comments may be sent directly to the author.
Phone: 281-463-2500, P.O. Box 841155, Houston, TX 77284-1155