Quiz on Last Month's Words
November / December 2017
Volume 18 No. 6
Here are the words that were featured last month:
For each of the eight examples below, select a word from the above list that best fits the blank. Then check your answers at the end. Note that the correct answer could be any of the word forms that were featured -- example: impetuous, impetuously, impetuosity, and so on.
- My husband and I have this desire--this . . . . . . desire--that our recently married granddaughter should be purely a homemaker, and that her husband should be the one responsible for earning money for their family. Of course, we realize ours is not necessarily a popular or modern--or even feasible--idea.
- A new law to limit construction in coastal areas that are prone to regular and heavy flooding has been . . . . . . by loopholes inserted at the last minute by lawmakers beholden to developers.
- On the issue of sexual harassment, America is witnessing an unprecedented . . . . . . from female professionals in all manner of workplaces--Hollywood, Congress, sports, media, as well as many other businesses.
- As you know, I am an immigrant from a landlocked African nation and yet, unlike any of my forebears, I love wading into the sea and being lashed by waves. Considering that I can barely swim and never go anywhere close to a swimming pool, this visceral attraction to the ocean seems to be inexplicable. Maybe it’s a case of . . . . . .. After all, life started in the sea.
- I agree that several of Harvey’s arguments during the meeting were pretty persuasive, but overall his presentation lacked the level of . . . . . . I’ve come to expect of him. It’s as if something else was weighing on his mind.
- We have a hot button issue for tonight’s meeting, and if Sid is present, he’ll pretty much dominate the discussion. In addition to his . . . . . . nature, this is one topic Sid is really passionate about.
- Nineteenth century German statesman Otto von Bismarck’s famous quote “Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made” was made in reference to the . . . . . . of the political process and how legislation is crafted.
- During the high-profile public feud between President Trump and Republican Senator Bob Corker this past October, the latter alleged that Trump, thanks to his . . . . . . temperament, “is setting the country on the path to WWIII.”
1. atavistic 2. vitiated 3. volubility 4. atavism
5. bravura 6. voluble 7. tawdriness 8. impetuous
Give yourself one point for each correct answer.
A score of 8 = excellent; 7 = very good; 6 = not bad; 5 or less = you may want to revisit last month's edition.
Please let me know by e-mail or phone (281-463-2500) what you think about this quiz and how it can be