Quiz on Last Month's Words
November / December 2018
Volume 19 No. 6
Here are the words that were featured last month:
For each of the eight examples below, select a word from the above list that best fits the blank. Then check your answers at the end. Note that the correct answer could be any of the word forms that were featured – example: hegemon, hegemony, hegemonic, and so on.
- In a bid to discredit Darwin’s theory of evolution, some say “Well, evolution is just a theory,” not realizing it is no less ........ a theory than, say, the universally accepted atomic theory.
- Each week, thousands of Venezuelans flee their homeland for neighboring nations because their economic situation is becoming more ........ by the day.
- One of the factors fueling anti-U.S. sentiments in some parts of the world is our cultural ........ around the globe.
- Most of the time, my boss is quite pleasant to be with. But when things start going south, he can quickly become very .........
- Since becoming the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia in 2017, Mohammad bin Salman has been deified by Western leaders no end. Now that the CIA has concluded that the killing and subsequent dismemberment of Jamal Khashoggi was at the behest of bin Salman, you can bet all that ........ over this upstart, especially in Western capitals, is a thing of the past.
- Bob, you are one ........ guy! You are so brutally honest, you’ll never make for a good diplomat. It’s a good thing you didn’t choose the state department for a career.
- During the meeting, I was impressed to hear Ethan rattle off sales and cost numbers from the 1980s and ’90s. He really possesses an ........ memory when it comes to facts and figures.
- Studies carried out at ........ institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia receive far greater media attention than findings from lesser known universities.
1. tenable 2. untenable 3. hegemony 4. cantankerous
5. rhapsodizing 6. guileless 7. elephantine 8. hegemonic
Give yourself one point for each correct answer.
A score of 8 = excellent; 7 = very good; 6 = not bad; 5 or less = you may want to revisit last month's edition.
Please let me know by e-mail or phone (281-463-2500) what you think about this quiz and how it can be